Brielle and Caleb

Brielle and Caleb

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A fun craft!

I guess you can say that I have always loved doing "crafty things" but I have had very little time to do anything lately (in probably years!). Scrap booking has been a recent new interest of mine but even that I haven't done in a few months. I'll blame it on being a mom who works and currently just finished two master's classes to obtain my master's +15 on the pay scale and further my knowledge of teaching. I really do love taking classes but they are very time-consuming with my current schedule. I guess in my next life I will just be a full time student who has time to do crafts!

Anyways, back to the point of my blog post! The woman who has made Brielle her tutus and the towels I gave my nieces, nephews, and cousins for Christmas, has an awesome blog that I check quite frequently! I just love many of the projects she does! Back in September, she posted this awesome paper wreath project that she had done. My mom and I had wanted to each make one since then. We went to Michael's a few weeks ago and bought all of the supplies to save them for a "rainy day." Well, it turned out to be a "snow day" project today because my mom was here enjoying the snow day with Brielle and me! I documented what we accomplished and I hope you enjoy!


First, we needed a few books (one did the trick for one wreath) and painted them with brown and then gold acrylic paint.
Then, once it was dry, we ripped out the pages of the book, page by page, and used a hot glue gun to attach each rolled page to a 12" styrofoam wreath. At first, I was being VERY picky about the size of the rolled paper. Being a perfectionist, I wanted them to be all the same size. I soon realized I had to let go of that and just go to town!!
I definitely needed an extra set of hands to hold the wreath while I glued on some of the pieces. That's where my mom came in! (And as a side note, she made a pot roast in the crockpot, TS corn bread and a cesear salad for us and Al and two of his workers! She really is THE BEST mom in the world!) It took a few hours to complete, and besides some burnt fingertips from the glue gun, was relatively easy! We need to make another one for my mom to have but Brielle doesn't nap for THAT long!!

I hung it on the inside of my front door for now...

Ta-da!!!
This is where I REALLY want to hang it, in my living room, below the window of the dormer. But, I need Al and a ladder for that and I don't think either of them will be around until the spring time!! LOL

1 comment:

Stitch a Wish Designs said...

Love it Caitlin!! Awesome job and thanks for such kind words! We should craft together some time! Michelle